Why demountable walls over traditional drywall construction?
At first glance, demountable walls are cost-prohibitive over traditional construction. However, contrary to how it initially appears, these wall systems can be very cost-competitive to traditional construction. Therefore, when comparing costs, ensure it’s an apple to apple comparison. Things to consider are:
- Is the configuration of the wall the same? (i.e.) amount and location of the glass, electric, and doorways.
- Are the specified door types the same?
- Was the cost and time to cut the ceiling and carpet around walls with traditional construction considered?
- Were the coordination, management, and inevitable time delays of electricians, painters, carpenters, drywallers, and finishers included?
- As the dealer usually installs a demountable system, the project time is shorter.
- Are all the power and finish items, including outlets, switches, paint, and hardware, considered in the comparison?
- Was the disruption impact, as well as the post-installation clean-up included in the comparison?
- Typically traditional construction projects are twice as long as a demountable wall project.
If all of the above is equal, there is one additional factor to consider – will the office ever be relocated, or will the floor layout change in the future? Again, if the answer is yes, demountable walls have a huge advantage, as 90 to 100% is reusable in another installation.
Sustainable and Environmentally Friendly Walls
Whether your interests are in LEED certification or you simply care about your environmental footprint, demountable walls are the way to go. First, their construction includes recycled, low-emitting materials, eliminating harmful things like PVCs, VOCs, and off-gassing. Second, demountable walls are 100% reusable, and when they reach the end of their long and useful lives, they can be recycled, avoiding the landfill. Lastly, installing or reconfiguring demountable walls is minimally disruptive to your employees, with no dust, dirt, or mess – often with no trace of their prior layout and location!